history of Cootes Drive

Tour paradise for speaker series finale

Published on Apr 03, 2009, Dundas Star News

The Dundas Valley Historical Society concludes this season's Speaker Series with writer and historian Randy Kay presenting Drive-through Paradise, A History of Cootes Drive at the Dundas Museum & Archives, 139 Park St. W. on Wednesday, April 8.

Cootes Drive was the first dual carriageway road built in Canada, having been completed in 1936 with cutting-edge construction methods. It runs 3.1 kilometres from Main Street in Hamilton through the western-most area of Cootes Paradise and concludes at York Road in Dundas. Originally known as the Dundas Diversion, Cootes Drive has not been without controversy during its existence. This presentation will cover the history and controversies of the former Highway 102.

Mr. Kay lives in Dundas with his wife and their three daughters. As a freelance writer and reporter he has published in the Hamilton Spectator, Hamilton Magazine, H Magazine and several others.

Mr. Kay is active with the sustainable transportation group Transportation for Liveable Communities, based at the McMaster University chapter of the Ontario Public Interest Research Group (OPIRG), where he also works as OPIRG's volunteer coordinator.

He has an English degree from McMaster University, a journalism diploma from Sheridan College in Oakville and an abiding interest in the natural beauty of the area.

Doors open at 7 p. m., with the presentation starting at 7:30. Admission is a toonie Arrive early as seating is limited. Visit www.dundashistory.ca or contact Stan at www.basil.cottage@sympatico.ca .
http://www.dundasstarnews.com/news/article/169256

Comments